News:

Keep our threads alive by bumping them often here and here

Main Menu

Microsoft Security Essentials

Started by Sad Panda, January 24, 2011, 05:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sad Panda

Microsoft Security Essentials is a virus protection program that sifts through your files, finds viruses, and deletes them. It detects almost all viruses and is updated several times a day so it can find new ones.

Click here to download it

After downloading it open the program and click "Scan now"

After the scan has finished click on the settings tab. Check "Run a scheduled scan on my computer"

-Sunday
-2:00 AM
-Full scan

Check "Check for latest definitions" and "Start when on, but not in use"

Save changes

Go to the "Default actions" area

Set all fields as "Recommended action"

Check "Apply recommended actions"

Save changes

Go to the "Real time protection" area

Check "Turn on real time protection"

Check "Moniter file and program activity" and "Scan all downloads"

Once every few hours do a quick scan. It takes 40 seconds and it can save your computer. There's no need to do a full scan manually because it is set to do it once a week. Those take about 3-5 hours.

Insomnom

Also note that if you already have antivirus software, downloading and installing this (or any other antivirus software) could cause conflicts that can reduce system stability and cause major issues.
If you plan on switching your software, make sure to completely uninstall (including registry files) your previous software before installing OR if you plan on trying it, make sure to completely disable your old software until you uninstall one or the other.

"There are two kinds of failures: those who thought and never did, and those who did and never thought." -L. J. Peter

Made by Pride.

Pk0wnedall

Thanks Nick, I'll use this when i'm at home.

Also, Luke; Why do you need certain amounts of ram? My computer is 4gb ram, But why you need an amount of ram?

Sad Panda

RAM is what lets your computer task and multitask. You don't need that much RAM to run it though. I think that mine is a half gig of RAM and it runs fine. I can do everything while it is running as a daemon. WorldScape, browsing, etc.

Pk0wnedall

Quote from: Killer Panda on January 24, 2011, 08:26:33 PM
RAM is what lets your computer task and multitask. You don't need that much RAM to run it though. I think that mine is a half gig of RAM and it runs fine. I can do everything while it is running as a daemon. WorldScape, browsing, etc.
I'm not stupid, I know what ram is.

Sad Panda

Well some of us have to Google it...

Pk0wnedall

Quote from: Killer Panda on January 24, 2011, 09:24:19 PM
Well some of us have to Google it...
Lmfao, I know.

Anyway, I downloaded it. It is quite good.

Voltimolt

First off, Windows Security Essentials is a good Anti-virus to have.

And RAM isn't main what lets your computer run your task, its mainly your processor.
I've got an old computer that has 2.5gb of RAM and only 900mhz of processor, it doesn't run smoothly. Trust me.

RAM and Processor works together.

If you've got a Single Core processor while the Anti-virus then you should turn off your AV when your not using it.
If you got a double+ core processor then run the anti-virus + what ever you want.

RAM is still important and still is needed but not as much as you need your processor. Most of the 32-Bit system doesn't read RAMs properly. Such as my laptop is a Windows 7 Home Premium "32-bit", Windows read my RAM as 3gb but I've got 4gb RAM installed.

64-bit Reads exactly the amount of RAMs you've got, as in my case, 4gb.

Facts: a PS3 system has 8 Core Processor, 6 is used in gaming and other playback media, 1 is used for its own OS, and 1 is unused.
Each PS3 core has 3.2Ghz. 8 Times 3.2ghz  =  25.6ghz. Believe it or not. But its RAM is 512mb, and the Games still run smoothly

So in PS3 case, RAM isn't important, your processor is.

Pk0wnedall

Quote from: Mute on January 25, 2011, 04:31:41 AM
The reason why I mentioned that is because it does chew up a bit of RAM whilst it's running. (Its always using about 100-150mb of RAM, and that's when it's just sitting there doing nothing.)
Why you so worried about RAM? Seriously, Who cares? Get a new computer if you have low RAM.

Kryptonite

Quote from: Pk0wnedall on January 25, 2011, 07:51:03 AM
The reason why I mentioned that is because it does chew up a bit of RAM whilst it's running. (Its always using about 100-150mb of RAM, and that's when it's just sitting there doing nothing.)
Why you so worried about RAM? Seriously, Who cares? Get a new computer if you have low RAM.

Yeah not everyone has $800 - 2,000 to just go spend on a new computer just because of RAM. It would be easier and cheaper to just get more RAM.

Quote from: Recoil on April 18, 2012, 06:21:22 PM
Quote from: X on April 18, 2012, 06:20:22 PM
Quote from: Recoil on April 18, 2012, 05:59:45 PM
Da fuq are you doing in a graffiti painted hobo dungeon for?

weed
Just lost all the respect I once had for you.

Sad Panda

Quote from: Kryptonite on January 25, 2011, 08:23:26 AM

Yeah not everyone has $800 - 2,000 to just go spend on a new computer just because of RAM. It would be easier and cheaper to just get more RAM.
The only $800 computers are Apple ones (overpriced and overrated) and the massive, glass encoated desktops (fairly priced and fairly rated). A nice Dell laptop is about $400. I'm getting one soon I hope. Also, yeah, you should just get a RAM chip for your computer. Costs much less.

Pk0wnedall

Quote from: Kryptonite on January 25, 2011, 08:23:26 AM

I'd just go buy a new computer, Seriously. (My dad gets me what ever i want. (;

Pk0wnedall

Quote from: Mute on January 25, 2011, 04:53:13 PM
Quote from: Killer Panda on January 25, 2011, 04:43:34 PM
The only $800 computers are Apple ones (overpriced and overrated) and the massive, glass encoated desktops (fairly priced and fairly rated). A nice Dell laptop is about $400. I'm getting one soon I hope. Also, yeah, you should just get a RAM chip for your computer. Costs much less.
Actually, the Mac Mini is quite a good deal.
Its small, powerful and looks cool too. :P

(Back on topic now anyways please)

I'm going to get the new Mac book pro 15" Screen!

Dug

Honestly Just think on what needs you want to satisfy with the computer you're using\about to use, then you're good.
Merci beau-coup everyone.
'Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.' - Dr. Martin Luther King
Ryan, Jeremy, Jake, Jose, Kevin, Oscar, Wouter, Marcio, Andy, Alex, Alex[Kumkwat], Luke, Avery, Kyle, Mazen, Omar, Connor, Tyren, Amanda, Stephani, Maxi, Aaron, Jeremy(ramp), Sean, Ramón, Kevin(tom), Dylan, Ross, Bill, Maarten, RATMAN, COLESHOT, RYAN1, I HAZ BACKUP, White Angel,  ALL OF YOU ROCK THE WORLD AND MAKE ME FEEL ALIVE. Mo is what makes me feel.
My Skype username = Private! Get away :(
WSB trailer- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv84zmlFjQs

â"Œâˆ©â"(●_●)â"Œâˆ©â"ï»¿ To all you nice pop song haters..

Pk0wnedall

I've been using this program for a few days now, And i'll tell you what. It's awesome!