News:

Check out the recently added slayer skill, and make sure to vote in the Future Updates section for new content!

Main Menu

Yell system really bad

Started by cody the coder, December 27, 2010, 03:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cody the coder

I see the yell system is bad because moderators have to be around to tell players not to abuse it.
Give those mods a break.. Why not just make the players can only yell 5 seconds - 10 seconds rate - reduces spammers and much easier to use
If you want the code pm me for the timer... but im pretty sure you can do it alone ;)
Merry Christmas ! :)

Kryptonite

Lol you can't even log in to blitz your name is too long..

Quote from: Recoil on April 18, 2012, 06:21:22 PM
Quote from: X on April 18, 2012, 06:20:22 PM
Quote from: Recoil on April 18, 2012, 05:59:45 PM
Da fuq are you doing in a graffiti painted hobo dungeon for?

weed
Just lost all the respect I once had for you.

Sad Panda

Really Kane? Lol, stay on topic please..

Kryptonite

Haha :P

My opinions on this:

Makes no difference because mods will still have to yell at the idiots who abuse it. This won't stop abuse it will just make it take longer.

Better idea (in my opinion):
Make it cost 1k or something for each yell you send.

weed

Sad Panda

No, making it cost money would contradict the main reason people use it. They use it to buy or sell items. It's like a tax basically..

Insomnom

No matter what is implemented, we will /always/ have people abusing the yell- unless you remove it entirely. Which we do not want.

The best you can do is help mods out by reminding players (nicely >>) not to abuse the yell if there is no mod online/active enough to do it themselves.

Though this may come off as mini-modding to some (which I absolutely abhor), it's really not.
Just one polite suggestion for someone to not clutter up your chat box with their bull. :3
"There are two kinds of failures: those who thought and never did, and those who did and never thought." -L. J. Peter

Made by Pride.

cody the coder

No, that would just spoil the echonomy for noobs, i've had a server with over 300 players so please.. making a 10 second rate would make players too lazy to wait another 10 seconds just to yell again. trust me it works :D

Kryptonite

weed

Sad Panda

Mini-modding is also known as a acting as a wanna-be mod.

Kryptonite

Quote from: Killer Panda on December 27, 2010, 03:58:03 PM
Mini-modding is also known as a acting as a wanna-be mod.

Ahh. I hate it too. Probably more than anyone.

weed

cody the coder

Making a 10 second yell rate will reduce players, but i think you are right whatever you do people will still abuse the yell but reducing it to 30% probibility is better than nothing.. the idea is now in all servers that have the yell option...

Kryptonite

Quote from: cody the coder on December 27, 2010, 03:59:22 PM
Making a 10 second yell rate will reduce players, but i think you are right whatever you do people will still abuse the yell but reducing it to 30% probibility is better than nothing.. the idea is now in all servers that have the yell option...

Most servers don't have an "abuse yell" rule.. That's why a lot of new people get muted because they don't know about yell.

weed

Insomnom

...people will still abuse the yell...

That was kinda my entire point.
Doesn't matter what you do, it will still be there.
Normally I'd say that I'm not against the idea of the 10 second flood prevention thingy...
But I kinda am, if only for the fact that the chat box isn't very large and when I use yell I often have to break up my yells into multiple lines.
They can range from one to five lines, depending on what I'm buying/selling/announcing.
And some of my announcements are pretty important, at least for the newer players.
Having to wait ten seconds to send another line (not to mention trying to send another one too soon and having to retype it all again) would really tick me off after awhile.

IMO. I'd rather put up with the mild yell abuse than have to go through that. lol
"There are two kinds of failures: those who thought and never did, and those who did and never thought." -L. J. Peter

Made by Pride.

Sad Panda

How about we make it cost 1000gp, but that nulls if you use a codeword of some sort. The codeword would be something like "selling..." or "buying...".

cody the coder

Quote from: Insomnom on December 27, 2010, 04:07:04 PM
...people will still abuse the yell...

That was kinda my entire point.
Doesn't matter what you do, it will still be there.
Normally I'd say that I'm not against the idea of the 10 second flood prevention thingy...
But I kinda am, if only for the fact that the chat box isn't very large and when I use yell I often have to break up my yells into multiple lines.
They can range from one to five lines, depending on what I'm buying/selling/announcing.
And some of my announcements are pretty important, at least for the newer players.
Having to wait ten seconds to send another line (not to mention trying to send another one too soon and having to retype it all again) would really tick me off after awhile.

IMO. I'd rather put up with the mild yell abuse than have to go through that. lol

I agree, but why not doing this just to the normal players, for players who have more than 1 playerRight will be able to yell
for example
if(command.startsWith("Yell") && command.substring(4)){
Yellcode()
YellTimer = 10;
} else if(playerRights >= 1){
Yell code()
}

Thats it i think .