News:

Vote for WorldScape Classic here! If you vote once every hour, we'll gain more players!

Main Menu

The History of WorldScape Development

Started by Ry60003333, January 30, 2015, 03:54:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ry60003333

WorldScape Development

Blitz was actually the initial rewrite of WorldScape Classic; It was supposed to fix the shit ton of issues we were having with the WinterLove based source. This included things like...

• The server using all of the computer's CPU
  • The server shoving all of the computer's memory down it's throat
  • Crashing when more then about 70 players logged in
  • Requiring an auto-restarter to restart the server almost once a day
  • client.java containing like 65355 lines of code and being like 2 MB in size

So I went on my merry way as a middle schooler rewriting the server, and about halfway I realized I was making a really crappy clone of WinterLove that was only slightly better, pictured below.

So Jeremy and I scrapped it and continued on with WorldScape Classic. We (by we, I mean I) took the Blitz networking and Login Server and franken-graphed it into the Classic code, and somehow the beast worked. However, when 474 servers came out (the ones where you were stuck on Tutorial Island ::)), I was extremely interested in them. I remembered a very small 317 base I created from scratch after the WorldScape Blitz failure; I dubbed this engine, RS2Blitz. As you can see below, it wasn't very functional.

However, I set out of the quest of making it work with the 474 client, and was able to achieve that goal.

This evolved into a 503 server, then 508, and then I got tired of updating the revision so I added multi-revision support. I added back in 317 support as well, and then realized I had a really good base going here!

I then took WorldScape Classic and ported all of the major content into a plugin for this new engine called "Classic". We migrated to using the SMF accounts as the in game accounts, posted the account migration tool, and from then on it was smooth sailing. 8)

The rest is history, and is all documented on this forum. We will forever be a WorldScape family. ;D
Triniboy: AllGoFree Staff don't get paid, they only get laid.

wolf

Kryptonite

This is inspirational in a way.

I will forever respect everything you've ever done with this server. It's really amazing.

Quote from: Recoil on April 18, 2012, 06:21:22 PM
Quote from: X on April 18, 2012, 06:20:22 PM
Quote from: Recoil on April 18, 2012, 05:59:45 PM
Da fuq are you doing in a graffiti painted hobo dungeon for?

weed
Just lost all the respect I once had for you.

Krest I V

Quote from: Ry60003333 on January 30, 2015, 03:54:31 AM
The rest is history, and is all documented on this forum. We will forever be a WorldScape family. ;D

...fuck. I've said some really dumb shit on here.

Ry60003333

Quote from: Krest I V on February 08, 2015, 12:21:18 PM

It is forever documented here, forever. ;D

Quote from: Kryptonite on February 05, 2015, 04:10:31 PM
This is inspirational in a way.

I will forever respect everything you've ever done with this server. It's really amazing.
Thank you! I wanted it to be inspirational and give people a backstory of what went in to developing the server. :)
Triniboy: AllGoFree Staff don't get paid, they only get laid.

Recoil

Same..... Good times XD
Dem digits

From his heights of wisdom he will look down on vain and agitated beings, as one who lives on a mountaintop looks down on those who live in the plains.

Kryptonite

I regret nothing :D

Quote from: Recoil on April 18, 2012, 06:21:22 PM
Quote from: X on April 18, 2012, 06:20:22 PM
Quote from: Recoil on April 18, 2012, 05:59:45 PM
Da fuq are you doing in a graffiti painted hobo dungeon for?

weed
Just lost all the respect I once had for you.

James

Jake