News:

Keep our threads alive by bumping them often here and here

Main Menu

Massive Improvement in reboot time

Started by Ry60003333, February 18, 2011, 01:11:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ry60003333

Many of you have probably noticed that the server took an incredibly long amount of time to come back online after an update. This was due to the server having to load all the information from the database at my house, and the upload speed at my house isn't very good. There is about 9 MB of data for it to load, so this took around 2 full minutes to be uploaded, and as a result the server started up very slowly.

However, after about 3 hours of work I finally set up MySQL replication, which keeps a copy of the database on the VPS and syncs any changes that are made at my house to the VPS automatically. So now, the server running on the VPS can load all the information off of itself, so the server takes about 10 seconds to start up now, which is a 120% increase in speed!

So basically, updates should go much faster now. 8)
Triniboy: AllGoFree Staff don't get paid, they only get laid.

Voltimolt

Dug

I was wondering if i could ask two questions:
1) Does this have any effect on the server if the server\site crashes, does it also work as for the site itself :o?
2) If this replicates the database then it obviously replicates the accounts, so if a problem such as a rollback occurs, would there be a way to over-pass that?
And in the words of my favorite Hancock, "good job".
Anyone that dis's you're work tell them "dis me one more time" then you know what to do :D.
'Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.' - Dr. Martin Luther King
Ryan, Jeremy, Jake, Jose, Kevin, Oscar, Wouter, Marcio, Andy, Alex, Alex[Kumkwat], Luke, Avery, Kyle, Mazen, Omar, Connor, Tyren, Amanda, Stephani, Maxi, Aaron, Jeremy(ramp), Sean, Ramón, Kevin(tom), Dylan, Ross, Bill, Maarten, RATMAN, COLESHOT, RYAN1, I HAZ BACKUP, White Angel,  ALL OF YOU ROCK THE WORLD AND MAKE ME FEEL ALIVE. Mo is what makes me feel.
My Skype username = Private! Get away :(
WSB trailer- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv84zmlFjQs

â"Œâˆ©â"(●_●)â"Œâˆ©â"ï»¿ To all you nice pop song haters..

M I K E

YESSIR

Thank you really much for the update ;)

Kryptonite

Quote from: Recoil on April 18, 2012, 06:21:22 PM
Quote from: X on April 18, 2012, 06:20:22 PM
Quote from: Recoil on April 18, 2012, 05:59:45 PM
Da fuq are you doing in a graffiti painted hobo dungeon for?

weed
Just lost all the respect I once had for you.

Ry60003333

Quote from: dug on February 18, 2011, 04:23:00 AM
I was wondering if i could ask two questions:
1) Does this have any effect on the server if the server\site crashes, does it also work as for the site itself :o?
2) If this replicates the database then it obviously replicates the accounts, so if a problem such as a rollback occurs, would there be a way to over-pass that?
And in the words of my favorite Hancock, "good job".
Anyone that dis's you're work tell them "dis me one more time" then you know what to do :D.

1. Right now it doesn't, as the site is still run from my house.
2. I actually moved all the accounts into a separate database, the only database that is synchronized is the database holding all the data needed for items, npcs, objects, skills, drops, and other stuff that the server loads when it turns on. This data actually never changed unless we go in and change it.

And thanks. 8)
Triniboy: AllGoFree Staff don't get paid, they only get laid.

Drunk Mario

Great job Ryan! This is a VERY good improvement that will help a ton. 8)

Quote from: Connor on May 26, 2011, 12:13:30 PM
I wish it was possible to punch some through a computer screen.

~~Personal Achievements~~

- Said to be one of the best Forum Mods
- #1 poster
- #1 topic starter
- Max combat achieved In-game
- Good banner maker
- #4 Overall