News:

Check out the recently added slayer skill, and make sure to vote in the Future Updates section for new content!

Main Menu

People trying too hard to use correct grammar

Started by Kryptonite, November 09, 2010, 10:06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kryptonite

I just want to rant about how annoying it can be to see people try to use correct grammar. It's not when they use correct grammar correctly when I get annoyed, but it's when they out-think themselves and mess up. Like capitalizing things when they shouldn't be, adding completely random apostrophes in things, and just other random miscellaneous things. I mean, you learn about this stuff in school, what's so hard about using it outside of school?

Why do people do this? I think it's because they want to be a mod, and they think that using good grammar is going to get them mod, so they try to make themselves perfect, but try a little bit too hard.

Post your opinions on this below please. And if you say this is a pointless topic, then you're wrong because this is the rants section... meant to be used for rants.

Quote from: Recoil on April 18, 2012, 06:21:22 PM
Quote from: X on April 18, 2012, 06:20:22 PM
Quote from: Recoil on April 18, 2012, 05:59:45 PM
Da fuq are you doing in a graffiti painted hobo dungeon for?

weed
Just lost all the respect I once had for you.

Insomnom

While I can understand what you mean, I don't think it's such a bad thing.
People trying to better themselves is great in an everyday situation.

However, pretending to be something you're not isn't.
So in the case of doing it just to become a mod, then yeah. No bueno.
"There are two kinds of failures: those who thought and never did, and those who did and never thought." -L. J. Peter

Made by Pride.

Pk0wnedall

You don;t need to make your self look like perfectness in grammar to be a mod, You need to be your self. I find it funny when people miss-use grammar.

I think they should stop being try-hards, And be them self.

Note: Yes, i do put capital letters after an apostrophe, I'm not sure why it's just a habbit.

Kryptonite

weed

Dench

I see where you're coming from... I think that may of been me at one point  :-\
I hardly ever used grammar in school and out, I was getting lower marks in my English exam's because of it, some people are trying to get used to using grammar but like you said, some use it to try and get mod.

masterp82

I personally think it's kind of effed up this rant, haha. Because people that use good grammar or try to use good grammar are just trying to get better at it. Because practice does make perfection. But people now a days don't know how to, because everything is done for them; like spell check on Microsoft Word and stuff. But like I said, people just do this to get better at it.

Sad Panda

Quote from: Pk0wnedall on November 09, 2010, 10:17:49 PM
You don;t need to make your self look like perfectness in grammar to be a mod, You need to be your self. I find it funny when people miss-use grammar.

Try not to laugh at yourself too much for misusing a hyphen, and misspelling misuse.

Quote from: Pk0wnedall on November 09, 2010, 10:17:49 PM
Note: Yes, i do put capital letters after an apostrophe, I'm not sure why it's just a habbit.

Errr... Did you do it either time in that sentence?

Quote from: Mute on November 10, 2010, 02:39:21 PM
The only reason to why I use the correct grammar (Or at least try to if my Dyslexia doesn't get in my way) is because if your going to be a troll (Like I used to be), you'll need the good grammar otherwise people will take the piss out of you big time for "Fail Typing".

That's why I learned how to really write. I did it so I could be recognized as a smarter person than my peers (whom I'm smarter than).

Daxking

I know I try to use proper grammer because i'm cool like that. Well it's not such a bad thing to learn, typing correctly...Even if it's a game, can still help you IRL situations. ;)

Sad Panda

I used to type using [text]. I even used it on papers. I failed nearly every one.

[text] is lol, wtf, ftw, etc.

Daxking

Lmao, I used to too. And the worst part about it, is when you forget how to spell something so simple, like "Ok". Which is actually "Okay".  ::)

Sad Panda

I put the word "cheeze" in a poem for 8th grade language arts...

Kryptonite

weed

Sad Panda

I've also put in "wtfh4x" before. I put it in a quote so she said it was fine. I told her that my friend litterally said that.

Daxking

Please don't tell me you guys say "Lol" or "Omg" IRL speaking.  ;D

Sad Panda

I do now just because it makes people laugh when I use [text] to teachers excessively.