News:

Keep our threads alive by bumping them often here and here

Main Menu

Is this all legal?

Started by jefferist, October 11, 2010, 05:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jefferist

Some of you may remember me, but probably not. I was an avid classic player for a while, made my 2.1bil, and then quit.   Today, I got curious and decided to pop in to see what was up, and I see that blitz is finally here.  (I am upset that we couldn't keep classic, too, but I won't get into that, since it seems to be a taboo subject.) 

Anyhoo, I download blitz to check it out, and I was blown away at how similar to runescape it was.  Most of the skills were in place, and such.  The world can hold 2000 players.  And my question was if blitz is going to encounter legal problems since it is becoming a free alternative to runescape.  I have a feeling that classic and most other servers are left alone because of how inferior they were to the actual runescape.  But if the goal of blitz is to completely emulate runescape, then wouldn't this be copywright infringement?

Heres a selection from Runescape's terms of agreement:
QuoteJagex®, RuneScape® and FunOrb® are registered trade marks of Jagex Limited in the United Kingdom, the United States and other countries.

You must not reverse-engineer, decompile or modify any Jagex Product client software in any way (except to the extent allowed by applicable law). You must not use a modified/customised version of the client software or attempt to sub-license it. You must not create or provide any other means by which any Jagex Product may be played by others (including, without limitation, replacement or modified client/server software, server emulators).

Materials (including without limit all information, software, data, text, photographs, graphics, sound and video) placed on any Jagex Product by us or on our behalf are protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights of ourselves or our business partners / suppliers / advertisers. You may not use these materials or any Jagex Product except in accordance with these terms and conditions and for personal (i.e. non-commercial) use only.

You agree that all intellectual property or other rights in any game character, account and items are and will remain our property.

By posting chat or other materials on any Jagex Product, you grant us a non-exclusive, perpetual, worldwide, royalty free, worldwide license to use and/or modify such materials on any Jagex Product as we see fit.

You agree that by submitting any material of any kind to us for any purpose connected with any Jagex Product (non-exhaustive examples are suggestions and ideas for any game or contributions to any Gallery page), you are giving us a non-exclusive, perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free license to use and/or modify the submitted materials as we see fit. You agree to waive any moral rights to the extent permitted by law and that you will not withdraw the submission or attempt to make a charge for its use. Furthermore you guarantee that you are the exclusive copyright holder in relation to the submission and that the submission in no way breaches the rights of any other person or entity.

Feel free to prove me wrong.

The Jefferist Club
Jefferist
Jefferist42

Brian

I don't understand a word you said  ;D, too many big words  ;).

Coleshot1

Yeah, I remember you.

Well. Blitz is compatible with 317, 377, 474, 508, 562 and maybe a few other clients. I've seen Ryan say "Because I don't feel like getting sued." before. Also heard Jeremy say Jagex was yelling at him about Classic. Sounds like they can't do anything. And we all know how smart Ryan is.

So, don't you think, if Blitz at the moment weren't legal anyways, we'd release the 508 and 562+ versions of the clients to the public?

I guess this might not completely answer your question, but it's pretty good coming from someone who has no evidence or knowledge of the subject, huh?
http://www.worldscapeblitz.com/blitz/smf/index.php/topic,644.msg3850.html#msg3850
If you don't read this, you may be kicked, muted or banned without warning and not know why. No, really, read.

The video/song in my profile picture. Same video I got my last one from, if you saw that. Watch at least until the part with her glasses. That part's epic. =P

-Completely, undeniably, 100% addicted to Touhou and loving it-
Without the internet, Touhou or my thoughts, I have very little a life.

It's really sad that only about 2 of the 115+ characters of Touhou is a guy(Humans in the 'Human Village' don't count. =O), and Touhou is still more manly than "those war games".
That, and Touhou is harder, more challenging, more extremely painful than any game you've ever played. It's no wonder I don't know the difference between Halo, Call of Duty, World at War and the etcetera.

bear hug

yeah i agree with cole.. and if blitz wasnt aloud jagex would have done something by now.. so.. :o

Triniboy

Plus Jagex shouldn't really be on the website, because when now visiting the website, You have to type in "Yes" in the small contract saying you are not related to Jagex in any form what so ever.

Vee Dub

I was curious about this too. I don't think they can do anything about the 317's anymore.

Hens why Ryan is waiting for the 508 too be "Legal". If it's not then we'll be shut down.