News:

Vote for WorldScape Classic here! If you vote once every hour, we'll gain more players!

Main Menu

D-DAY

Started by Thatonedude1, June 06, 2010, 08:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thatonedude1

Sorry if this is the wrong board. I'm a newbie.

I'm sure most of you have known that the invasion of Normandy (D-DAY) was today and for those who do not know what D-DAY is here's an article form Wikipida:

"The Normandy landings were the landing operations of the Allied invasion of Normandy, also known as Operation Neptune and Operation Overlord, during World War II. The landings commenced on Tuesday, 6 June 1944 (D-Day), beginning at 6:30 AM British Double Summer Time (UTC+2). In planning, D-Day was the term used for the day of actual landing, which was dependent on final approval.

The assault was conducted in two phases: an air assault landing of 24,000 American, British, Canadian and Free French airborne troops shortly after midnight, and an amphibious landing of Allied infantry and armored divisions on the coast of France commencing at 6:30 AM. There were also subsidiary 'attacks' mounted under the code names Operation Glimmer and Operation Taxable to distract the German forces from the real landing areas.

The operation was the largest amphibious invasion of all time, with over 160,000 troops landing on 6 June 1944. 195,700 Allied naval and merchant navy personnel in over 5,000 ships were involved. The invasion required the transport of soldiers and material from the United Kingdom by troop-laden aircraft and ships, the assault landings, air support, naval interdiction of the English Channel and naval fire-support. The landings took place along a 50-mile (80 km) stretch of the Normandy coast divided into five sectors: Utah, Omaha, Gold, Juno and Sword."

Stumbled upon Worldscape.

Volcanic Me

Yeah, I learned about that in my 9th grade American History class.

Drunk Mario

That kind of stuff bores me. ??? They teach that kind of stuff in school so confidently that we will remember it throughout our lives and yet we forget it in days? weeks? I hate school.. But i'm a good student.(Unless i don't get my peanut butter! ???)

Quote from: Connor on May 26, 2011, 12:13:30 PM
I wish it was possible to punch some through a computer screen.

~~Personal Achievements~~

- Said to be one of the best Forum Mods
- #1 poster
- #1 topic starter
- Max combat achieved In-game
- Good banner maker
- #4 Overall

Volcanic Me

Quote from: Drunk Mario on June 06, 2010, 08:27:42 PM
That kind of stuff bores me. ??? They teach that kind of stuff in school so confidently that we will remember it throughout our lives and yet we forget it in days? weeks? I hate school.. But i'm a good student.(Unless i don't get my peanut butter! ???)

You don't care about how the U.S. became the strongest nation in the world? History repeats itself, you know...

Drunk Mario

Quote from: Volcanic Me on June 06, 2010, 09:13:50 PM

You don't care about how the U.S. became the strongest nation in the world? History repeats itself, you know...
I never said i didnt care, i said it bores me terribly.

Quote from: Connor on May 26, 2011, 12:13:30 PM
I wish it was possible to punch some through a computer screen.

~~Personal Achievements~~

- Said to be one of the best Forum Mods
- #1 poster
- #1 topic starter
- Max combat achieved In-game
- Good banner maker
- #4 Overall

Volcanic Me

Quote from: Drunk Mario on June 06, 2010, 09:50:55 PM
Quote from: Volcanic Me on June 06, 2010, 09:13:50 PM

I never said i didnt care, i said it bores me terribly.

Which indicates that you don't care...

Pk0wnedall

I don't really like history, i mean i'll sit and look at a few things from my country but not really interested in anything else.

This bores me as well.