News:

Keep our threads alive by bumping them often here and here

Main Menu

Atheists.org Promoted Thread: (CLOSED)

Started by Jeremy, December 18, 2009, 10:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy

Here I will be posting articles from the atheists.org site with permission so anyone interested can come and read! They have a lot of interesting material, and I strongly feel the need to share some of it's values with you all.

This thread will stay locked, and the only posts allowed are my posts that contain the articles from atheists.org.

Note to Administrator's and Moderator's: Do NOT post on this thread.
I'm bad enough to commit suicide and survive long enough to kill my soul after I'm dead.
-Picture removed-

Jeremy

Atheists.org:

Christians:  You don't own this Holiday, and You Never Did

Ah, Christmas!  And what would Christmas be without the constant complaining about the "War on Christmas" by the Christians who are under the mistaken idea that December 25 is the birthday of Jesus, and nothing else.

How conceited and blind.

But Christianity is neither the first, nor the 5th, nor the 10th mythology to adopt the Winter Solstice as their major day.  Mythras, Zarathustra, Osiris, and even the Mayan Qetzalcoatl were all born on the Winter Solstice (there was some confusion as to whether the solstice happened on the 21st or the 25th), just to name a few (everyone knows Jesus was allegedly born in the Spring).

Indeed, none of the trappings of Christmas are Christian.  All of it predates Christianity.  Yuletide, and Yule logs come from the Pagan holiday of Yule (the pagans also took the Solstice for their own).  Santa Claus is Nordic or Celtic, depending on who you ask.

Even the Bible says: Thus Sayeth the Lord, learn not the way of the Heathen (that's us)... for the customs of the Heathen are vain, for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with an axe.  They deck it with silver and gold; they fasten it  with nails and hammers, that it move not...Be not afraid of them, for they can not do evil, neither is it in them to do good" Jeremiah 10:2-5.

So the Bible and the history books prove that the Solstice is clearly not a Christian-only holiday, that Christians aren't original, and that their whole holiday is basically stolen from other religions.

It's likely that the solstice was discovered by scientists, and then assigned a deity as the religions grew.  It's certainly safe to say we've celebrated it far longer than anyone else -- and it is certainly also safe to say the atheists have observed the winter Solstice far longer than Christians.

So move over Christians, you don't own this holiday, and you never did.  You can still have your piece, but we all get a piece of the Solstice.  Happy Holidays.
I'm bad enough to commit suicide and survive long enough to kill my soul after I'm dead.
-Picture removed-

Jeremy

-Picture removed-