News:

Vote for WorldScape Classic here! If you vote once every hour, we'll gain more players!

Main Menu

Recent Downtime

Started by Ry60003333, November 11, 2014, 08:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ry60003333

AllGoFree Downtime

Who?
As many of you probably noticed, all AllGoFree services were offline for the past few days. This was due to our lovely friends at Time Warner Cable, who decided to "quarantine" (turn off) the Internet at the location where the majority of services are hosted.

Why?
Time Warner turned off the Internet because we didn't have an @twc.com email address. I'm not kidding. They turned off our Internet to try and get us to register for an email address. Apparently this is a common thing.

Did they fix it?
No; at first, they didn't know how what was wrong. It took two days and many escalations to get a phone representative to finally tell us they blocked us. When he attempted to unblock us, it required a reboot of our modem, which then knocked out the home phone as well!

Then what?
It turns out that Time Warner had permanently blacklisted our modem, so we had to swap out our modem for a completely new one. This has finally gotten everything working again, after three days of terrible customer service for a problem that they caused.

What can we do?
If this downtime angered you, made you sad, or you even just noticed, please help us stop this type of behavior by ISPs. When I said on the phone that it shouldn't be legal for them to disable our service without notice and then give us the runaround about it, he said "actually we can, its in the contract".

These companies don't care one bit about their customers. If you have had to deal with AT&T, Verizon, Time Warner, Comcast, Cox, or any ISP or cellular provider on the phone, you know what I am talking about. Please visit the site below to try and save the Internet, so that new ideas have a chance at becoming great. Without things like net neutrality, AllGoFree wouldn't exist. Please help keep us alive!

Triniboy: AllGoFree Staff don't get paid, they only get laid.

Mia

wolf

I Steal Cash

Thank you Wolf!

Recoil

It's interesting this happened and you bring this up Ryan, it's something I've been talking about with my friends recently. Cable companies in America are f*cking ruining the internet. There's a video that talks about the whole oligopoly thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ilMx7k7mso

and it's pretty funny, too.
Dem digits

From his heights of wisdom he will look down on vain and agitated beings, as one who lives on a mountaintop looks down on those who live in the plains.

Krest I V

My family has AT&T for everything but our cellphones and it's great actually. If you so much as say that you're thinking about switching to a different service they'll rescind anything you're pissed about and maybe give you a little bit more off. It costs them pennies to provide you with that service which means they charge significantly more than is necessary to make even a substantial profit on the business. It definitely works with AT&T and Verizon as my family has just simply switched between the two a couple times over the last couples of years because of better deals being offered by one over the other, but I'm sure it will work for others.

Ry60003333

Quote from: Recoil on November 13, 2014, 07:52:22 AM
It's interesting this happened and you bring this up Ryan, it's something I've been talking about with my friends recently. Cable companies in America are f*cking ruining the internet. There's a video that talks about the whole oligopoly thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ilMx7k7mso

and it's pretty funny, too.
I love this video, because everything that they say in it is true. This is how the cable and internet companies behave, and it is freaking insane! :-\

Quote from: Krest I V on November 14, 2014, 03:17:48 AM
My family has AT&T for everything but our cellphones and it's great actually. If you so much as say that you're thinking about switching to a different service they'll rescind anything you're pissed about and maybe give you a little bit more off. It costs them pennies to provide you with that service which means they charge significantly more than is necessary to make even a substantial profit on the business. It definitely works with AT&T and Verizon as my family has just simply switched between the two a couple times over the last couples of years because of better deals being offered by one over the other, but I'm sure it will work for others.
But how much data are you getting with those plans? I've had unlimited data with Verizon because I bought an iPhone with them a few days before they got rid of it; I saw the rumors online and went for it. They are charging you tons of money each month while 10 GB of data costs them a few cents!
Triniboy: AllGoFree Staff don't get paid, they only get laid.

oplsno

This is when I'd say ditch the home servers and get a dedi server. Preferably EU based since the EU ISPs aren't as retarded.

BT in the UK sucks some mean balls but they've never done anything like that to me.

On another note though, what about investing in a failover connection? 3/4G solutions aren't too expensive nowadays.
Kevin was a cunt, change my mind.

wolf

Quote from: oplsno on January 13, 2015, 09:33:31 PM
This is when I'd suck some mean balls, but they've never done anything like that to me.
Yeah ok...