News:

Keep our threads alive by bumping them often here and here

Main Menu

Donating.

Started by wolf, October 10, 2014, 08:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recoil

Quote from: Ry60003333 on October 19, 2014, 05:57:58 PM
I'll check the error logs once I finish this dumb homework. I really wish college didn't assign so much pointless work...

Or make you take so many trivial non-major classes.. :-\
Dem digits

From his heights of wisdom he will look down on vain and agitated beings, as one who lives on a mountaintop looks down on those who live in the plains.

Ry60003333

Quote from: Recoil on October 19, 2014, 07:22:17 PM
Quote from: Ry60003333 on October 19, 2014, 05:57:58 PM
I'll check the error logs once I finish this dumb homework. I really wish college didn't assign so much pointless work...

Or make you take so many trivial non-major classes.. :-\

That too! Game design classes are easier and more fun! :)
Triniboy: AllGoFree Staff don't get paid, they only get laid.

Recoil

Yeah, it sucks right now for me cause none of my major classes are offered for me until next year. So I'm getting all of the graduation pre-reqs done this semester so for the next 3 years I can focus solely on game development classes. :D
Dem digits

From his heights of wisdom he will look down on vain and agitated beings, as one who lives on a mountaintop looks down on those who live in the plains.

Jake

So you guys go to college to study a course solely dedicated to game development?  :o

Does this lead you guys to go into a game developing job once you've finished college? And how difficult is it to get into a job like that? Also what happens if you can't?

wolf

Quote from: Jake on October 20, 2014, 07:32:20 AM
So you guys go to college to study a course solely dedicated to game development?  :o

Does this lead you guys to go into a game developing job once you've finished college? And how difficult is it to get into a job like that? Also what happens if you can't?
You are forgetting 2 major aspects to this question.
1. It is America
2. Game Development
If you are good enough to create a decent game and release it, it can make you millions, or if you are just good enough to know what you are doing it is pretty easy to get a job within the industry someplace or another.

Recoil

Jake, college in America is equivalent to university in other countries. As in, after secondary school. And yes, in America, game developers get insane amounts of money and there's a pretty high demand for them.
Dem digits

Jake

It's just weird because you don't hear of much of this in Australia. It's not something most kids want to get into but it seems pretty popular in America  :o

wolf

Quote from: Jake on October 21, 2014, 06:31:35 AM
It's just weird because you don't hear of much of this in Australia. It's not something most kids want to get into but it seems pretty popular in America  :o
I would do it in a heart beat if I had the know how.

Kryptonite

What's it like in Australia then?

Quote from: Recoil on April 18, 2012, 06:21:22 PM
Quote from: X on April 18, 2012, 06:20:22 PM
Quote from: Recoil on April 18, 2012, 05:59:45 PM
Da fuq are you doing in a graffiti painted hobo dungeon for?

weed
Just lost all the respect I once had for you.

wolf

Quote from: Kryptonite on October 21, 2014, 02:05:34 PM
Unless you live in a major city, there is nowhere to learn game development in a Uni like environment, many places let you learn from home, over the internet but then you are not learning as quick or as much as you would in a University.

Recoil

Quote from: wolf on October 21, 2014, 07:44:43 PM
Unless you live in a major city, there is nowhere to learn game development in a Uni like environment, many places let you learn from home, over the internet but then you are not learning as quick or as much as you would in a University.

Not true at all. I learned programming twice as fast from YT videos than I have from a college class. The only reason to take official classes for it is to look more qualified.
Dem digits

wolf

Quote from: Recoil on October 22, 2014, 04:25:27 AM
Quote from: wolf on October 21, 2014, 07:44:43 PM

Not true at all. I learned programming twice as fast from YT videos than I have from a college class. The only reason to take official classes for it is to look more qualified.
Everyone to their own, I personally do not like to watch YouTube tutorials to learn.

Jake

Yeah I find it easier learning with an actual teacher in front of me teaching, that way if I don't understand something you can find the answer straight away. Also it's a more personalised way of learning I think.

Recoil

No, I'm not talking about personal preference. It's a matter of how efficiently the content is covered. A couple years back I would watch, oh, I don't know, maybe 10 or 15 ten minute videos on YT, and within an hour or two I knew all of the basics of Java. But when this semester started I took a computer science course and after the 2nd week we still hadn't been taught half of what I was taught in that YouTube session. I eventually had to drop that class because it was so slow moving.

The reason why YT tutorials thrive is because the people who create them far better understand their audience than a 30 - 50 year old Computer Science PhD. People are more tech-savvy than professors give them credit for, so the classes were so arduous it was boring. But even beyond the fact that you'll get more content out of YT vids, I'd also just rather just have another teenager who knows it tell me it because they can speak on my vernacular. Trust me, if you could take any official coding classes I bet you'd both agree with me.
Dem digits

Kryptonite

I learned everything from looking at other peoples code when i first began to try to make my own rsps. I eventually just kept working with it and figured everything out on my own. Now that I'm taking an actual computer science class I hate it because I already know everything we've been taught so far. I really don't think you need a teacher to learn anything. Well, not anything but you get the idea.

Quote from: Recoil on April 18, 2012, 06:21:22 PM
Quote from: X on April 18, 2012, 06:20:22 PM
Quote from: Recoil on April 18, 2012, 05:59:45 PM
Da fuq are you doing in a graffiti painted hobo dungeon for?

weed
Just lost all the respect I once had for you.