News:

WorldScape is run on the most advance RuneScape private server software. Ever.

Main Menu

API is a great idea

Started by Binary, September 03, 2014, 10:38:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recoil

Quote from: oplsno on September 14, 2014, 09:20:33 AM
Quote from: Ry60003333 on September 13, 2014, 02:00:56 PM
If anyone would like a sneak peak at the plugin docs... ;)
http://www.openrune.org/javadoc/
So for those who have no idea, a summarised version of that link is as follows:

That link lists all available variables and functions which you can call from inside your own code, so lets say you wrote something for a new item, you'd call the specific function from that link which allows the character to interact with said item. This saves you having to write a whole new method of interaction when you can just use the pre-provided code.

Pretty sure that summarises it, correct me if I'm wrong because I haven't seriously programmed in a couple of years.

I don't know if it lists all variables and functions so much as classes and packages. I've never been a fan of javadocs so I haven't used it much but it basically just looks like descriptions of how certain packages and classes work.
Dem digits

From his heights of wisdom he will look down on vain and agitated beings, as one who lives on a mountaintop looks down on those who live in the plains.

Krest I V

Quote from: wolf on September 14, 2014, 09:36:58 AM
I'm going to assume you are right because I have no idea how the hell it works.

As far as we're concerned, it's just magic.

wolf

Quote from: Krest I V on September 14, 2014, 03:24:29 PM
Quote from: wolf on September 14, 2014, 09:36:58 AM
I'm going to assume you are right because I have no idea how the hell it works.

As far as we're concerned, it's just magic.
Some Harry Potter shit right there.

Ry60003333

You guys are correct! :)
The Javadoc lists all of the methods and variables and will be included with the download of the API; so when you are in Netbeans programming, you will have the documentation available on methods as you type their name; it will be very handy!
Triniboy: AllGoFree Staff don't get paid, they only get laid.

Recoil

OK, but when and where can we actually use it?
Dem digits

From his heights of wisdom he will look down on vain and agitated beings, as one who lives on a mountaintop looks down on those who live in the plains.

Kryptonite

Quote from: Recoil on April 18, 2012, 06:21:22 PM
Quote from: X on April 18, 2012, 06:20:22 PM
Quote from: Recoil on April 18, 2012, 05:59:45 PM
Da fuq are you doing in a graffiti painted hobo dungeon for?

weed
Just lost all the respect I once had for you.

Krest I V

Yeah, I wanna help with the Sea Troll Queen!

Ry60003333

I've been setting up the domain name that will be hosting the API and trying to get things like SSL turned on for all AllGoFree websites. 8)

I just have to set up some more stuff for the site and release some tutorials on how to use it, and it should be good to go!

Kryptonite

weed

Ry60003333

I'm about to try and get the website for it online. :)

Kryptonite

weed

wolf

It is all still magic to me.

Recoil

Quote from: wolf on October 20, 2014, 08:26:12 AM
It is all still magic to me.

It's simple. An API is what's known as an Application Programming Interface. The purpose of an API for any software is to allow cross development between separate developers and not reveal the original source code. So, for example, Facebook has an API for the developers of FarmVille to add their game on the site -- which allows all parties to do seamless programming and the FarmVille developers never get to see the source code of Facebook.

It's slightly different with Java as web development is a lot more lightweight, but it's the same principle. Anyone here who can write Java code will use some sort of simple interface to get their scripts to Ryan, who then has the final call on whether or not to veto the code. It's really not all that complicated, but even if it was, that's irrelevant. All you need to know (unless you're in for adding code as well) is that it will really speed the development process along because basically everyone here will be able to program the game.
Dem digits

wolf