News:

If you want to help support the game, please consider donating to AllGoFree!

Main Menu

This is genuine.

Started by Jake, December 16, 2013, 03:07:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake

Where do you think the game went wrong? At what point did the game start dying?

And who do you think had the biggest input on the game.

I'm just genuinely curious as to what the people who are left think. You guys, the ones who are left, are all strongly opinionated and I respect everyone single one of you that are left. You all say it how it is and I've always loved that about you guys. Especially Nick & Kane. Ethan and I have had a pretty rough past and he dislikes me because of it, but put that all aside and I respect how you conduct yourself. Regardless of who you're fighting with.

Let your opinions pour out.

Zonekiller

For me, the drop party that the admins released, along with the new boss. I remember being so cought up getting every piece of useless robes that I zoned out and stopped Pking. Me, Brian, Dennis and a couple of others just stopped which made Pking completely dead. Honestly I think it was a huge chain reaction. If the Pkers stop playing, the skillers wouldn't want to play because of the amount of people online. People are less likely to log on in-game if there are less people playing.

Binary

It wasn't ever one single event. And for the most part the players, not the staff, are at fault for the game dying. For starters, everyone who voted no on the eco fix definitely helped speed up the decline. This is about 30% Richard's fault, considering he made 10 accounts just to vote no on all of them on the same poll. And there were about 30-40 no's total.

Before any of that was even considered, I think it was just a gradual process that caused the game to die out. Obviously the economy was just so inflated that there is no real challenge to it anymore, so any potential new players coming in don't really have a sense of achievement to progress at all. No one just wants to train all day. And even for the people that did, their only incentive to play was the high scores really.

The staff do hold some fault though. This seems like one of the only RSPSs that always has some type of drama going on. And usually it isn't pointless drama, they're just responses to stupid shit the staff does. So all the conflict is probably unappealing to people who just want to come and have a good time. The community has never been "united" because of that. Instead it's kind of like middle school, where everyone just pouts at people they don't like, and people generally go off into little cliques.

But hey. I'm just a guy looking to complain so.
A.K.A. Recoil

Check out my account progress for Jake's iron-man challenge!

nate

I think how the server's economy was created made it difficult for new players to get into the game. The whole system was based off trading items for other items, which was kind of difficult if you had no items to begin with lol. Currency is a definite HAVE TO for a server. The decline was simply the fallout of players as they grew older and had more important life choices to make and take care of. If you notice, most players on here have played since 2009 or around that time. Everyone is a "legend". As for Pking, it always was also a problem with making people quit because everyone took everything so personal. Me and Drakedriller were basically a 2 man clan, and we always  piled people in the wildy, but then they always took it personal, hated us, or if they were a mod they kicked us before we could kill them (which was wrong). People might say, "yeah, you did pile them, they have every reason to hate you", but it is the wilderness you were standing in, and you did accept the terms and possible consequences when you teleported there.

As for the person who put the most into the server, id have to give that title to Brian Crowell. He no longer plays, but when he did, he had about 3 maxed out accounts, and always was online involved in the community.

This is / isn't a serious post

I Merk

For me it was when blitz came out. I did play and enjoy blitz, but I couldn't play as much as I wanted due to exams. After the original worldscape came back it was never the same. Who knew a bug could be so important lol. The problem now is all the active players here are old enough to have bigger commitments as we're not 13 anymore. As for who has had the bigger input I'd say us pkers lol, we're all cunts.

gomes97

Quote from: I Merk on December 16, 2013, 01:47:37 PM
For me it was when blitz came out. I did play and enjoy blitz, but I couldn't play as much as I wanted due to exams. After the original worldscape came back it was never the same. Who knew a bug could be so important lol. The problem now is all the active players here are old enough to have bigger commitments as we're not 13 anymore. As for who has had the bigger input I'd say us pkers lol, we're all cunts.

Yeah after Blitz alot of people left and like you said it was never the same and it a shame :'(
I also very genuine  how it is soo hard to start building worldscape up again like RR they have fast like 10 20 players

made by Predator
Highlights:
Number 2 attack
Death zone ex dcd and Co owner
Number 2 best dutch pker.
Got voting legandray pker
3rd best pker
Ex team Psycho owner

Kryptonite

I believe it's cuz a few people started quitting, then other people noticed less players on so they stopped playing as well. Then there was just a big chain reaction of this. I don't know why though.

Quote from: Recoil on April 18, 2012, 06:21:22 PM
Quote from: X on April 18, 2012, 06:20:22 PM
Quote from: Recoil on April 18, 2012, 05:59:45 PM
Da fuq are you doing in a graffiti painted hobo dungeon for?

weed
Just lost all the respect I once had for you.

Krest I V

Quote from: Binary on December 16, 2013, 12:44:15 PM
It wasn't ever one single event.

I'll cover a few of the ones I think had a big impact

PKing - So much controversy. It always revolved around DZ or people like Nate. It's not Oscar's fault he had a big clan and it's not Nate's fault that he played within the rules of the game, but there was always a fight going on about something PKing related. DZ (again, not Oscar's fault) was always massive and if you weren't in DZ then you were either trying to get in or you hated them and wanted to kill them. When you get a bunch of angsty teenage boys all fighting each other then things start to get pretty heated. Same goes for the people like Nate. When Nate goes and kills someone in the Wildy while they're fighting someone else an avalanche of people (typically DZ) lose their cool and it's a vicious cycle because that makes people like Nate target them again and on and on and on.

Forums - I used to be such an enormous piece of crap on the forums. I would egg people on and try to make a controversy out of nothing. People looked up to me for some reason and that just made me want to do it more. I've learned but after three years of incessantly flaming people for no reason, I helped usher some people out that I'm sure would have loved the community if I wasn't the first person they saw. I know I'm not the only one, there were certainly others and there still are others, but I understand that I'm definitely one of the worst that has been on this site. Other than the trolls, there is just an enormous amount of negativity on these forums. I know that this post isn't sunshine and flowers, but it sure as heck is better than a lot of the ones I've seen in recent months.

Economy - Well, it was controlled by three or four people and that's kind of a really bad thing. It's alright for people to be rich, but to have so few people control 95% of the "rares" on here and a good chunk of the skilling items is really bad for the economy.

Staff - There have been really bad staff choices made and there's no one left around that we can blame. It almost all goes back to Jeremy. You can blame Ryan for giving Jeremy that power, but I don't. Jeremy came off as a pretty cool guy when you were just talking to him so I can completely understand him being promoted to Owner. Unfortunately, he promoted people like Avery by selling positions and that was horrendous. Between Jeremy, Avery, and some of the others that Jeremy promoted, a large chunk of the community is gone either through being banned or just getting fed up with the staff.

Time - Like it was mentioned before, we aren't 12 or 13 anymore. Not everyone has time to do things like play this game anymore and not everyone is interested in a game like this anymore. We're getting lives now. Jobs, girlfriends (I wish!), sports, school, friends, and family are all taking up way more time than they used to when we were younger and had nothing else to occupy our time.

RuneRebels - I'd say this was the nail in the coffin. This is what really marked the game coming to a halt. As soon as RR was released it was clear that more attention was going to be focused on that community and building it up to be like how this one once was (lots of people, generally nice, lots of fun to be had) but we were completely neglected. Sure, putting us on standby for a little bit would have been fine, but for the length of time it was done and to the extent it was done completely destroyed the community's morale. While we saw RR get update after update we were left with a bugfix here and there and not much else. On top of the owners paying attention to RR more, the rest of the staff were mostly double staffed across the servers and they ended up on there more than here. Releasing RR created a domino effect of things that brought the server to its knees and at the moment the game is face down on the floor, but still trying to get back up.

Kryptonite

Danny was the biggest piece of shit...

weed

nate

Quote from: Krest I V on December 17, 2013, 12:48:16 AM
PKing - So much controversy. It always revolved around DZ or people like Nate. It's not Oscar's fault he had a big clan and it's not Nate's fault that he played within the rules of the game, but there was always a fight going on about something PKing related. DZ (again, not Oscar's fault) was always massive and if you weren't in DZ then you were either trying to get in or you hated them and wanted to kill them. When you get a bunch of angsty teenage boys all fighting each other then things start to get pretty heated. Same goes for the people like Nate. When Nate goes and kills someone in the Wildy while they're fighting someone else an avalanche of people (typically DZ) lose their cool and it's a vicious cycle because that makes people like Nate target them again and on and on and on.

Thanks for the backup, I was waiting for people to start freaking out on me and telling me I was wrong on the whole wildy "butt hurt" situation. lol

This is / isn't a serious post

James

I'd say the biggest downfall in Worldscape is the economy, hands down.

I've played WS for a while now, and the one thing that always bugged me was the item-based economy. New players coming in have literally no chance to succeed in the economy. You have certain players who control most of the economy, and then the rest of the players control ~5%. Donations were screwed from the get-go, with people being able to buy wealth by adding items that were obtainable only through Barrows (I can smash that, I didn't make that call ;)) accessible to everyone through donating.  With the item on item economy, nobody wanted to sell you anything unless you had a rare to trade them.  I remember coming back, and I wanted to buy enough bones for 135 prayer.  The first 4 people I wanted to buy them from didn't want to take my offer, because nothing I had was considered 'rare enough.'

PK'ing did have a big portion to do with it as well.  I created a clan to hopefully go up against Deathzone, as I saw it to be to much of a powerhouse.  Now, members from both sides were a little snotty towards each other, as well as towards Nate and DD, but friendly competition is a good thing, in moderation.  Now that I think of it, an owner owning a clan probably isn't the best thing for the community.

I hope to come back to Worldscape in the future, and hopefully bring the game we all love back to the way it used to be.  It'll be a grueling battle, but I still feel that we haven't gone so far back that we don't have a future.

In regards to RuneRebels, I hope you will all take one second to look at it from our point of view.  We knew the game was dying. We tried to fix it, we couldn't. We wanted a clean slate, and RuneRebels was an awesome way for us to do it.  If it wasn't for RuneRebels Ryan, Kevin, and Myself would have quit RSPS's altogether, and Worldscape would more than likely be shut down. We still pay for the hosting because we have all intentions of coming back to Worldscape, it's just RuneRebels is WAYYYY more fun for us currently. I am slowly turning things around, you may have noticed that I went through and did a complete staff wipe (which was suggested, I made a poll on it, some of the former staff members got defensive and pissed because I was doing it, even though in my opinion a good few of them did not deserve a staff position in the slightest, but the poll was removed.)

Binary

Not to just re-perpetrate the arguing again, but what exactly did you guys do to "try to fix" the game? You held a poll to see whether or not people wanted the economy fixed, which as we know was ineffectual.

Sure I can understand your point of view, but I just don't think what happened is what you're saying. I think you guys really just kind of gave up on Worldscape or at least put it off for a few months but acting like you still deeply care about the community. That's clearly not the case.

PKing was probably another small blow too, but really that wouldn't be as bad if we ever had an economy fix. I have a question: what's so hard about just wiping the economy now and starting up the server? There are clearly people who want to play, so long as the economy's fixed. What are we all waiting for is my question.

Oh and Jake, to respond to your first post, I don't really hate anyone here. There are a couple exceptions, like Jack and Kevin. But if I do actually have a "hate" for a person on here I'm open to say it. People just assume I hate them because I'm aggressive to those I disagree with.
A.K.A. Recoil

Check out my account progress for Jake's iron-man challenge!

Kryptonite

Honestly I don't care if they don't update this for awhile as long as they just put it online now.

weed

James

Quote from: Binary on December 19, 2013, 10:35:37 PM
Not to just re-perpetrate the arguing again, but what exactly did you guys do to "try to fix" the game? You held a poll to see whether or not people wanted the economy fixed, which as we know was ineffectual.

Sure I can understand your point of view, but I just don't think what happened is what you're saying. I think you guys really just kind of gave up on Worldscape or at least put it off for a few months but acting like you still deeply care about the community. That's clearly not the case.

PKing was probably another small blow too, but really that wouldn't be as bad if we ever had an economy fix. I have a question: what's so hard about just wiping the economy now and starting up the server? There are clearly people who want to play, so long as the economy's fixed. What are we all waiting for is my question.

Oh and Jake, to respond to your first post, I don't really hate anyone here. There are a couple exceptions, like Jack and Kevin. But if I do actually have a "hate" for a person on here I'm open to say it. People just assume I hate them because I'm aggressive to those I disagree with.

If I didn't care about the community, why would I be celebrating my 8 year anniversary this month? Obviously, I care enough to come back and visit it, just as you do as well. I am on the forums at least 3-4 times a day checking in, and tossing my opinion around anywhere I deem appropriate.

What we did to try to fix the game ---

1. For three straight months this year, we allotted 100% of our development time and resources to WorldScape. This was proven through: The new bosses, bug fixes, overhauls of advertisement posts, overhauls of staff members, donation overhauls, etc.

2. I took charge to open up the community more to what we were doing behind the scenes, because I thought and still do think that what we do behind closed doors is too locked away.  This was proven by the topics like you're discussing about an economy reset.

3. We took the time to upgrade the server core itself, eliminating a bunch of useless code.

I do feel we could have done more, but the past is the past.

It's hard to just reset everything.  Some players have the mind sight that everything on their account is well-earned. I don't blame them.

gomes97

I like the way its easy to get whip dharoks etc because it is very important for the pking.
But i WS need new Rares because stuff like scarf are now worthless
and we have to remove all the coins or make an new way of paying for your rares so an new player can get them:
if you play alot and sell certain stuff that they can deserve the reward/coins and also with killing monster's, other players,playing alot and selling stuff what you get from skilling and other Rares that you already had or bought from the shop
I have no idea if it is possible
Alot of Respect for James he is the only one of the Owners who talk to us  and show that they didnt forget WS

made by Predator
Highlights:
Number 2 attack
Death zone ex dcd and Co owner
Number 2 best dutch pker.
Got voting legandray pker
3rd best pker
Ex team Psycho owner