News:

Keep our threads alive by bumping them often here and here

Main Menu

hard drive failure???

Started by nate, November 17, 2011, 08:56:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nate

i was playing worldscape and a message popped up that said something about scanning your computer. i immediately assumed it was some virus pop up so i disgarded it. then my computer just shut down. when i turned it back on, all of my files were deleted save the trashcan and google chrome. i believe this is my hard drive failing, but what would have caused this???

***** addition********

i downloaded all of the java stuff to play worldscape, and downloaded all the files i recently had on my computer and then the computer turned off again. turned it back on and POOF... everything is gone save the trashcan and google chrome...  :'(

This is / isn't a serious post

Thehate

Quote from: Program on November 17, 2011, 09:51:52 AM
Sounds like a virus. You're best move is probably to back up any important files, format and reinstall.

Agreed, It sounds to me like it has infected the BIOS, I would do as Program suggested and also if possible, go into the system options upon boot, such as mine is F10 there should be an option called DISK SANATISER what that will do it will completely wipe everything, BIOS included, there should be an OPTIMISE or FAST option, always best for OPTIMISE, but it takes longer so leave it over night, or if you are in a hurry use fast. same job just not as clean.
Then re-install your operating system, If this isn't possible contact me.
I'm a forum and server legend ;)

M I K E

When you start the comp, does it beep? Thats a BIOS sound message or something. So that may mean theres a virus in BIOS like thehate said :S

I learned it the hard way, lost 1000+ pictures because of a virus, these days i have a backup and all important files saved to a memory stick.

nate

i dont recall a beep. and im at school but when i get home ill wipe my computer.

Thehate

Quote from: nate on November 17, 2011, 03:07:44 PM
i dont recall a beep. and im at school but when i get home ill wipe my computer.

Okay, if you see an option to something like "disk sanitiser" do that it will completely clean it, if not then contact me further.

nate

defragment disk? thats my only option concerning disks. i searched disk in all files and folders.

Thehate

Quote from: nate on November 17, 2011, 06:29:46 PM
defragment disk? thats my only option concerning disks. i searched disk in all files and folders.

Right okay... Umm then i suggest you go to computer then format the disk.
That will then probebly crash the computer... but allow you to re-install everything

nate